Over the last few months I have watched in wonder at the conversion of one of my children. It has been a glimpse into Heavenly Father's infinite love for each of us. I had never given up on seeing this miracle, but rather, I put my hopes and dreams aside. It was often too painful to think of what had been lost. When his 21st birthday came and went, I thought about how he should be returning from a mission, attending college, and finding his eternal companion. You can't imagine the many hours that Tabb and I spent thinking of whether or not we had taken too firm of a stand. We would often remind ourselves that the Lord had sent our son to us for a reason and that he would give us the insight into how to help him.
Now we prayerfully watch as our son embraces the gospel. He sat us down the other night and said "I have something to tell you both." For Tabb and I, those are words that put fear in our hearts. I told him. "Go ahead...we'll deal with whatever it is." He then started crying and said "I want to serve a mission." There are no words for that moment. It was a slow motion moment....the past struggles, the painful consequences, and the joyous hope all combined in one of the most tender moments. The road ahead is filled with challenges and blessings. I think of how the miracle of repentance reaches not to just the sinner but to each of us as we see its power to change lives. With all of the gifts of Christmas yet to wrap and place under the tree, I can't wait for the gifts that don't need to be wrapped.......listening to the patriarch as he gives my son his Patriarchal Blessing, witnessing Tabb ordain him to the Melchizedek priesthood, and the look of peace that radiates from our son's face as he continues to embrace his testimony.
6 comments:
Cory? Was this Cory? I need to know. I'm so excited! :)
Michelle, what a beautiful post! I cannot imagine the joy you and Tabb must have felt hearing those sweet words "I want to serve a mission". You guys are FANTASTIC!
That's so awesome! Tell Brian that we're rooting for him!
Wow...what a powerful experience. As you said, no gift under the tree can match that kind of experience. What a wonderful gift he gave you.
How wonderful Michelle. Miracles truly do happen.
Michelle - I am so excited for Brian. I hope he continues on his journey toward a mission. What an awesome goal! :) Love you lots.
Post a Comment