Thursday, December 24, 2009

My Favorite Christmas Memory

When I was 5 or 6 years old, I remember a very special Christmas eve. My parents used to go to a small grocery store run by a very nice Chinese couple. On Christmas eve, they would always have treats for their customers. I loved to go in the store because everyone was so friendly and happy. Growing up in California, it was not often you had a "small town" experience, but going to this store gave me that feeling. On Christmas morning, my parents would always get up before us, light a fire in the fireplace, turn on Christmas music, and then we would excitedly run down the hall towards the living room. I had hoped for a very special doll, "Snuggle Bun." She could blink her eyes and say "Mama." She was waiting for me under the tree along with a stroller. I doubt I even changed from my pajamas before I took her outside for her first stroller ride! I think that was my most favorite Christmas gift ever.

Since I've grown-up, my favorite memories have always been Christmas Eve family gatherings. Our tradition is to have an early dinner (tonight it's a baked potato bar, salad, rolls, and pies). We always go to Hayes Barton Baptist to look at the live Nativity scene. On the way home, we drive through Brentwood Subdivision to look at the luminaries. Later we read the Nativity story, the children open their Christmas pajamas, we say prayers, and it's off to bed! One of my most favorite memories is of Daniel - age 3. He accidently turned loose our pet Hamster on Christmas Morning. All thoughts of Christmas were quickly forgotten as we hurried to find the hamster before the Cat got an unexpected Christmas gift! There was also a very, very special Christmas Eve when we had a terrible Ice Storm. A missionary couple lived across the street from us. Tabb had run out to try and find kerosene - all the power was out. Melissa had just been born. I remember sitting, all of huddled together, in the Den. The power was out, and a small fire was going in the fireplace. The sister missionary was quietly rocking my one month old baby near the fireplace. I noticed that the room was filling with smoke. Before I could say anything, a sudden whoosh happened and fire spread from the fireplace up the front of the wall. As suddenly as that happened, there was another powerful whooshing sound and the fire was sucked back into the fireplace. I've never seen anything like that before. We all realized that we had been protected from a potential disaster that Christmas Eve!

I hope that as you all reflect on the meaning of the Savior's birth, you'll also remember the importance of our showing love and appreciation for the blessings we abundantly enjoy. I can't imagine what my life would be like if it wasn't for a young girl named Diane, who by her example, led me to the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I have been blessed by a wonderful family, a Mom who is amazingly talented and thoughtful (although she would disagree) , a step-father who is one of the nicest people I have ever known, for a mother in-law who is a great example of service and kindness, for my siblings - wish we all lived closer, for a dear husband (my children are blessed to have such a great Dad), for my great kids (it's hard to put into words the great love I have for each of them), for Teresa (you are truly the sister of my heart), for Janine - she's been such a great Visiting Teacher (the best ever), for Sheila and Karen (I'm so fortunate to have such caring RS leaders), for the Quiller family (what a blessing to live near such a great family) and most important, for our Savior, Jesus Christ. I'm grateful to have the blessing of learning to be like him - I'm no where close - but I hope that throughout my life, those that know me will be able to see my desire to live by his example. Merry Christmas!!

Next year...baby Abigail will be here!!

No comments: