Monday, December 13, 2010

Mama Bear is on the Loose Again


First...thank you Ana E. Katie, and Keeks for blogging all your thoughts and feelings in such an open way. I get alot from reading your posts and I have come to realize that it's okay to be straight forward (with humor from time to time). Ana has posted some incredibly difficult moments when her babies were hospitalized. When their family was going through that crisis, I didn't realize that I would later be in a situation that seemed to last forever and with very real worries that my child might not survive. With Melissa's fifth hospitalization this year in process, I've got to admit that from time to time I want someone to step in and make decisions for a change. But then something happens and I swing full throttle into mother bear mode. No one knows my daughter better than me (sorry Tabb), except Heavenly Father. Melissa shares with me some of the most tender, difficult, silly, and amazing thoughts. I feel like I'm the protector of her feelings and of her health. When your child is hospitalized, you and the child lose alot of your control. Other people step in who have policies, procedures, and education as the main tools in their box of healing. I've got faith, love, experience, education, and tenacity in my box. Health care teams need to learn that unless it's an immediate threat to safety....bring the parents in on decision making before implementing a change in care. Ask the parents if they can attend rounds. I HATE getting a phone call after rounds and hearing that something has been done before talking to us, the parents. I need to be the one holding her hand when something difficult is discussed...not some doctor or nurse who can't begin to understand her. So her treatment team now knows just how tenacious this Momma bear is and I'll protect my cubs with my life! A little melodramatic, but watch out....because it's true!!!!

1 comment:

KQ said...

ROAR!!! You:re doing the right thing.